Friday, February 26, 2010

Vintage Modern

It seems that I've become the go-to-girl for non-traditional engagement rings, and I don't mind, not one bit!

This beauty is a variation of my wide weathered band ring in 14k yellow gold. The design itself is quite simple, clean and modern, but the stones are anything but. The warm cognac colored rose cut diamonds hark back to an earlier time. First introduced in the mid 16th century, they have a romantic and intriguing quality. I love how the colors of the diamonds work so well with the yellow gold.

I'll also be designing his and her wedding bands for this New York couple-stay tuned!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lovely Linocuts

I've always enjoyed both practicing and admiring the art of printmaking. I must admit it's been far too long since i've had time to do anything creative besides making jewelry. Back in the day, I LOVED making linoleum block prints. The process is actually quite simplistic in theory, but how the techniques are applied allows the end results to vary greatly. I love local artist Rigel Stuhmiller's whimsical "Circus Troupe" prints. Check out how she makes them here.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Age Of Aquarius

I'm pleased to announce that 7X7 Magazine showcased my Fishbone Bracelet in the February issue Fashion Trend layout! I feel honored to be on the same page as jewelry superstars Kathy Kamei and Melissa Joy Manning.

Editor Jaclyn Binder hit the nail on the head when she wrote that my bracelet ".... looks just as stunning with a T-shirt and jeans as it does with a dramatic cocktail dress."

To me, that is the ultimate compliment. When I design, I try to find that magical compromise between beautifully crafted art and wearable jewelry. Great jewelry should and can transcend clothing choices, time of day, event, age, and even personal style. I'm happy that others see that in my creations.

I live 90% of my life in jeans, boots, and t-shirts. The other 10% warrants a bit more effort. Either way, I wear my jewelry proudly. It is part of me-always.

Sarah Swell All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger